- Ideal for improving literacy skills in emerging
readers - a superb reading lesson!
Find Something... Search my whole site
Games Homepage -
You are here
One - CVC Phonics Game
A tried and true phonics game for teaching Consonant Vowel Consonant
(CVC) words. Ideal for the classroom and for home. I've had great
success using it as part of Guided Reading sessions.
fun teaching activity to focus on medial short vowel sounds)
- Print the game, laminate the pages and cut them out.
- For storage use seal top bags to avoid the 'temptations'
of rubber bands in the classroom :-)
three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a leader to distribute the cards and give five cards
to each member of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the
centre. Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place
it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the short vowel
sound of the red letter and then the word e.g. If the
card is 'fin' the dealer says, 'i like in fin'. If the card
is 'hot' the dealer says, 'o like in hot'.
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn
moving to the left around the circle. If they have cards with
the same medial sound as the one turned over by the dealer
they can place one on top of the pile by saying 'i like in
thin' or 'i like in tin'.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up
a card from the facedown pile. If the card they pick up is
a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place
it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card
in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e.
if say they had the cards 'clap', 'hat' and 'had' they would
place down their CHANGE card and say "I'd like to change
it to 'a like in had'". All the following players must
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the
The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the
children say 'o like in hot' when playing. Please ensure they
keep doing it throughout the learning sessions.
Here to Download and Print the Game
Click 'Get This Game'